Manah Sodhanam -So Far (3)

Verses 11 to 14 talk about the impurities of the mind and draw inference about what is the true cause of it.

I imagine the impurities of the mind as those factors that does not allow us to exist in the state of bliss and oneness. So for me, they are primarily fear, insecurity, over expectations and I am taking the liberty of adding procrastination here, because, it has lead me to a lot of trouble. I am sure every individual have their own unique list of impurities that stops them from being happy. In Manah Sodhanam, Swami Tejomayananda lists likes, dislikes, anger, greed, ego, selfishness etc as some of the impurities. By listing the emotions, it does not mean that I must not get angry or I must not feel fear etc. Because, as a human, I am meant to experience these feelings and emotions. When I look at a lovely flower, I must feel a liking towards it. If someone abuses me unnecessarily, I am programmed to feel angry and bitter. But I must be aware of these emotions and not let them take control of my thoughts, actions and ultimately, my life. (Verse 11)

Then, Guruji goes on the explain how, every one of us are free from the troubles caused by the ignorance in our sleep.When I sleep, the world ceases to exist for me, because my mind rests. When I sleep, I am a creator myself, because I create my dreams. When my mind is absorbed in sleep or in some inspired activity, the impurities and their effects are not seen.(Verse 12)

The yogis and the wise men are free from the impurities and their effects even in their waking state. They are not affected by the impurities and does not suffer from them like those individuals who are not aware of their true self. (Verse 13)

And thus, Guruji deduces and concludes that ignorance alone is the cause of all sorrows. The sorrows that I experience is not caused by my body, my mind or the emotions (because, I know that I am free from all such sorrows when I am in the state of deep sleep or when I am fully involved in what I am doing). And through inquiry, I will try and understand the true nature of my own self. (Verse 14)
Hari Om!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How much longer will India be the land of festivals?

Karma Yoga -Part 1 -What and Why

Purpose

Manah Sodhanam - Verse 1

Love

One Size DOESNOT Fit All

Absolute Relative