Manah Sodhanam - So far

Before I move on to verse 17, I want to take a small pause to reflect on what Manah Sodhanam has been teaching me all along.


Written by Swami Tejomayananda, Manah Sodhanam is a Sanskrit text of 25 verses. This text is an observation on the human mind. What makes the mind tick? How to purify the mind so that we can walk on the path of seeking the Truth? What are the impurities that plague our mind? How to overcome them? These are some of the questions that Manah Sodhanam addresses.

I want to do the recap in three parts. In the first part, let me focus on the ultimate goal that we must attain through the practice of purification of our mind.

The text opens with the outright declaration of the truth that the supreme self is non dual and is full of bliss. We all are beings of supreme bliss. The self that resides in us is the same self that resides in all living things. And the nature of this self is pure unadulterated joy and happiness. This happiness is an inherent quality of our self. It is not dependent on any external source. We don't need anything or anybody or any reason to be in a blissful state because, that is our true nature. (Verse 1)

But sadly, we don't live in the state of the realization of the truth. This is because, the truth is veiled by ignorance. Ignorance here means identifying myself with my body, my actions, my emotions, my wealth, etc. True identification means identifying myself with my "self". When the ignorance or the duality is dispelled, the truth shines out. But there exists a difficulty in dispelling the ignorance and realizing the truth. (Verse 2)

As a human, I go through the daily motions of my life without sparing much thought about my inner self. In the pursuit of happiness and wealth and people, I often forget that true happiness is already there within me. Unless the constant chatter of the mind to keep pursuing one object or the other ceases, unless the desire, attachment, fears and insecurities weaken, I will not be able to realize my own self. The desire or the curiosity to know the truth happens only when all the impurities that plague my mind weakens. (Verse 3)

And if by God's grace, I somehow get the desire to know the truth, I don't have the firm abidance to keep seeking it. I feel as if I understand all about my self when I listen to great teachers talk, or when I am pondering on texts like Manah Sodhanam. But the moment I get back to my routine, all that I have understood is pushed away at some abandoned corner of my mind. I get caught up in a flurry of activities and emotions. (Verse 4)

Unless I have firm abidance in my pursuit of mind purification and seeking of the truth, all the efforts that I put in will not bear any fruit. I must have the discipline and conviction to adhere to my spiritual practice everyday. Only then, I can experience the state of bliss that the Jivanmuktas experience. Having firm abidance here means, having complete faith in the words of the Vedas and the teachings of our guru. (Verse 5)

To have the firm abidance in the supreme self, the most important thing that I should do is to purify my mind from all impurities. This is the first step in knowing the supreme self and the ultimate truth. (Verse 6)

Tomorrow let us refresh what are the various impurities of the mind and what are the various means through which we can purify the mind. Hari Om!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How much longer will India be the land of festivals?

Karma Yoga -Part 1 -What and Why

Manah Sodhanam - Verse 1

Love

Purpose

One Size DOESNOT Fit All

Absolute Relative