Manah Sodhanam -Verse 7

After discussing so long about the need to purify our mind, verse 7 goes on to tell us how we can do this. For me, mind purification essentially means getting rid of all unwanted thoughts and let peace prevail in me. Unwanted thoughts include all sorts of rubbish like fear, worry, envy, anger and all other negative things that you can possible think of. After all, according to the Vedas and all the great Gurus, we are nothing but beings of bliss. So, working in reverse, to become a being of bliss, if I get rid of all that are "not bliss", then I can get a glimpse of my true state. Right? My Guru keeps saying "பற்றது பற்றி விட்டால் பற்றற்றது தானாக விட்டுவிடும்." So if I focus on the truth, all other distractions will automatically melt away.

Verse 7 tells us how to actually get rid of all the distractions. It goes like this.

MANASSUDDHIKARANIHA  SADHANANI  VADANTI  HA
YAJNO  DANAM  TAPASCAIVA  JAPASTIRTHAM  VRATASTATHA

The meaning is very simple. Great teachers prescribe many methods to purify the mind, such as yajna, charity, austerity, japa, pilgrimage and vows.

Now now now, let us not immediately imagine all the scenes from Mahabharatha and Ramayana TV serials when we hear the words like japa, thapa, yajna etc. Let me take a moment to write about a small tangent here. This incident kind of made me marvel at our culture and also, incidentally made me understand the true meaning of this verse.

A very good friend took me to the dance performance of her guru. And I was absolutely blown away by her performance. As I was immersed in the dance, a thought struck me. All our traditional art forms centered around God. For our ancestors, entertainment also was somehow related to God. Be it dance, music, harikathas, sculptures...God somehow wormed his way into them. And this God, is nothing but the Paramathma that resides in all of us. So, in a nutshell, meditation upon the self was subtly inculcated in their day to day lives.

Any form of creative pursuit brings our mind to a single point. Doing any work that we enjoy also brings our mind to a single point. And when we are in that state, all our unwanted thoughts just disappear. When I write, or when I run, or at the risk of sounding borderline OCD, when I clean my home, my mind calms down and ultimately, becomes silent. (Now, I also feel that way when I am drooling in front of a television or drown myself in pulp fiction. But that is more in a mindless and dumb way..tamasic right?)

So what will happen if I club such activities with self inquiry? Then this becomes my Sadhana? My brother tells me that when we tread in this path, we have to turn the focus light on us. All through my life, I have spent, and still continue to spend so much time on reacting to words and actions of "others", so much of my happiness depends on external things, so much energy is wasted on judging others, being angry/upset/irritated with others, doing things to get approval and appreciation of others, trying to mold people and situations to meet my expectations, time wasted in worry and fear...what an utter waste?

I feel it is now time I turn the focus light on myself. Do things that brings my mind to focus. Do those things with discipline and conviction and regularity. Whenever unwanted thoughts creep in, immediately switch my thoughts to the Paramathma -who is still a Rama, Krishna, Pillayarappa and Govinda to me. And more than anything, try to be good and kind to all those around me and help others in whatever way I can, without any expectations. Hari Om! Have a blessed 2015.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How much longer will India be the land of festivals?

Karma Yoga -Part 1 -What and Why

Manah Sodhanam - Verse 1

Love

Purpose

One Size DOESNOT Fit All

Absolute Relative