Meditative Mornings

Mornings are my most productive times. Am not talking about pre-dawn times when everyone is still asleep. No no.... I am mostly leading a yoga session during those times. Am talking about the comfortable 7-7.30 am types when we wake up without the aid of the alarm. The body and mind refreshed by sleeping as long as it needs, but not so long that half the day is already gone.

On such days, especially like this Sunday morning, when I am not already pulled in so many directions and not constantly checking the clock, I like to indulge. But the problem with indulging is, I have too many favourite things to indulge :) I Start with all enthusiasm...brewing a hot strong sweet coffee and opening the Sunday express. As I am half way through the coffee, my mind stops paying attention to the sweet aromatic warmth sliding into my soul and starts jumping...

"Oh how lovely it will be to do some yoga now...maybe I should do my journaling now and digest some of what I have been feeling / going through...or probably finish editing my video for YouTube...oh how about writing some of the things that I have been wanting to for so long...have to crystallize those thoughts in my blog...how about studying some texts, after all, the mind is so quiet right now...maybe now is the time to clean that shelf and get it finished...or maybe i should just oil my hair and have a long bath..." 

Now, all this before the other half of the cup of coffee disappears down my throat. And sadly, before I could even choose what to pursue, some other chore shows up and that's it, am back to the mundane in no time. The beautiful moments pregnant with so much potential disappears like smoke. When that happens, all I am left with is a vague sense of disappointment that haunts me all through the day, making me scroll mindlessly through social medial instead of actually doing any of the above.

With time, I have picked up some tricks to beat this "wanting to do too many things at one time and not getting anything done" madness. I have set up an order of priority -first comes blogging, which is my creative outlet and that which doesn't get as often a chance to express. Next comes studying, after that anything work related and finally, my own practice because I know I will somehow make time for it through the day, but not necessarily for the others. Also, for me, I need a kind of quiet, steady energy with a lot of focus and that mental state is readily available during such mornings. Another thing that I do is, not do anything and just sit for a few minutes. And then do whatever my gut screams me to do, which sometimes will be none of the above!

I am so thankful for such wonderful beginnings, where I am not caught up in an endless list of "TO-DOs" and I can just be. Such mornings are ripe with the promise of the whole day unfolding in such a manner, but somewhere by the afternoon, it just becomes a wistful memory. 

As I type this piece out, I wish that the whole day and in fact, the whole life unfolds effortlessly from this state of being, like a gentle river flowing so soundlessly and merging into the ocean. Tuned in, reveling in peace and bliss, while the body and the mind carrying out whatever that has to be done -like an instrument in the hands of the Supreme...just BEING.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Purpose

How much longer will India be the land of festivals?

In love With My Body

A Song of Ice & Fire - George R R Martin (Game of Thrones series)

Love

One Size DOESNOT Fit All

On Oneness - Part 1